Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Greetings from Susan Crane

Easter Greetings from Susan Crane

http://disarmnowplowshares.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/easter-greetings-from-susan-crane/

 

Dear Friends,

 

Thanks for your prayers, letters, books and encouragement. Your

support means so much to me. And thanks for your work that brings us

all closer to the Beloved Community.

 

I was walking back to the housing unit from dinner the other day,

talking to a friend. She was reflecting on how contagious yawns are.

Yes, I said, and violence is just as contagious as yawns! Here, in

prison, it’s a matter of honor and respect; if someone hits you, you

hit them back. And in our national dealings, the same is true. The

exchange of violence is expected, accepted, and considered virtuous

and reasonable. At least I can introduce the idea that there are

people who think there are better solutions to problems than the use

of violence and revenge.

 

I’ve fallen behind answering your letters…letters that bring news of

peacemaking around the world, greetings and encouragement, and

glimpses of daily life. The number of stamps I can buy each week is

limited. And, I am using these same stamps to mail out some pottery.

Moreover, we aren’t able to send more than one letter per envelope,

not to mention that the label making process is tedious, and at times

very slow. The number of labels we can make is limited. So my hope is

that you will consider this letter a personal one.

 

It’s Easter Sunday, a day to celebrate life, a day of hope and

resistance to war making and death dealing. We woke up this morning to

find ourselves on full lockdown. Are the authorities afraid the angels

will roll away the fence? Ha Ha. Poor humor, I suppose; but I find it

amusing.

 

I’m becoming more and more allergic to fundamentalist Christians,

including fundamentalist Catholics. I’m finding it harder and harder

to go to religious services here. The intolerance of others is

overwhelming and in some perverse way brings out my increasing

intolerance of Empire-based Christianity. “We have no king but

Caesar,” the people and the religious authorities cry.

 

Dennis and Tensie, Rozella and Tommy, from the Guadalupe Catholic

Worker house in Santa Maria, CA, were visiting yesterday. Dennis is

back from his trip to Jeju Island, where Korean people are resisting

the building of a naval base on their island. Dennis said that over

3000 Catholic priests came to say Mass on the building site and say NO

to the military base. I was thinking what it would be like to have

3000 Catholic priests go over and through the fence to say Mass on the

Naval Base at Bangor where the nuclear armed Trident submarines are

home ported, and where there is a huge stockpile of nuclear weapons.

 

This first part of my sentence is almost over. Thank you for

accompanying me on this part of my journey. It’s possible that I’ll be

released from the prison on Wednesday April 25th. It will come as no

surprise to Judge Settle when I eventually come before him for not

cooperating with the next part of my sentence–a year of supervised

release.

 

I am praying along with you for Bradley Manning, Leonard Peltier, Yang

Yoon-Mo, Theresa Cusimano, Norman Lowry, Rafil Dhafir, and all our

brothers and sisters in prison. More importantly, we pray for peace,

especially our own ability to be peaceful and follow the nonviolence

of Jesus.

 

Peace and Easter Blessings,

 

Susan

 

Susan Crane 87783-011 (15 months – out 4/25/12)

FCI Dublin, 5701 8th St.Camp  Parks, Dublin, CA  94568

 

 

No comments: