Thursday, August 27, 2015

Senator Barbara Mikulski must be challenged for her lack of support for the people of Maryland.


Friends,



I was stunned when I read Senator Barbara Mikulski’s response to my communication urging her to support the Iran deal. For example, she made this claim:



“Many of the constituents I've heard from are concerned about the safety and security of our treasured ally, Israel. I share that concern. Since the start of my time in the House and Senate, I have worked to ensure the viability and defense of the State of Israel.“  She does not indicate how many? Two or three?  She makes no mention of those of us, surely in the thousands, who have urged her to support the president's momentous Iran deal.

Later she brags about how many tax dollars are given to Israel.  This is money which would be better spent in Baltimore in rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure. And of course, she doesn’t detail the human rights violations committed by Israel or mention the oppressive occupation of the Palestinians.  When a U.S. senator wears blinders and ignores the plight of the Palestinians, she must be challenged. 

To be frank, I was insulted by this letter.  It was far from a measured response and more like a plea to become ambassador to Israel.  Reading this letter, I have concluded that she is prepared to vote against President Obama and for Benjamin Netanyahu.  Fortunately, this hawk is retiring after this term.

Kagiso,

Max


Dear Mr. Obuszewski:



     Thank you for getting in touch with me about the Iran nuclear agreement. I want you to know that I take my obligation to vote on this agreement very seriously. After all, one of Congress' highest and most important duties is to provide for our national security. I will reach a conclusion on the agreement only after much deliberation and a rigorous review of the facts, and after I've had an opportunity to pose tough questions to experts and administration officials.

     In April 2015, Congress passed the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act (Public Law 114-17), which established a process for Congress to review the agreement. I strongly supported this legislation because I believed it was appropriate and necessary for Congress to have a role in the review of this agreement.

     My review so far has included attending multiple classified and unclassified briefings from Secretaries Kerry, Lew, and Moniz and leaders in the Intelligence Community. Just as important, I've met with a number of experts outside the Administration. As a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, I am all too familiar with Iran's history of duplicity, and I have asked tough questions in numerous briefings. But most importantly, I am hearing from thousands of constituents on both sides of the issue.

     Congress received the agreement, or the "Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action," on July 20, 2015. Under the framework of the Iran Nuclear Agreement Review Act, Congress has 60 days from that date to review the agreement and its accompanying documents. I am using those 60 days to do my due diligence, leaving no stone unturned as I study the agreement and its classified and unclassified annexes.

     Many of the constituents I've heard from are concerned about the safety and security of our treasured ally, Israel. I share that concern. Since the start of my time in the House and Senate, I have worked to ensure the viability and defense of the State of Israel. 

     As Vice Chairwoman of the Appropriations Committee, I put funds in the federal checkbook to support Iron Dome and Israel's missile defense systems, $3.1 billion in foreign assistance, and $10 million in refugee relocation assistance. Here at home, I've fought to make sure our synagogues are safe and secure. The Fiscal Year 2016 Homeland Security funding bill nearly doubles the support for high-risk non-profit security grants, going from $13 million to $25 million. And I've made sure the U.S. Department of Treasury has the resources it needs to implement tough sanctions on Iran. This commitment to our ally Israel, the only true democracy in the Middle East, will not change.

     Knowing of your views will be helpful to me as the Senate reviews this agreement. Again, thanks for getting in touch with me to share your thoughts about this important issue. Please let me know if I may be of assistance to you in the future.

Sincerely,
Barbara A. Mikulski
United States Senator


Donations can be sent to the Baltimore Nonviolence Center, 325 E. 25th St., Baltimore, MD 21218.  Ph: 410-366-1637; Email: mobuszewski [at] verizon.net. Go to http://baltimorenonviolencecenter.blogspot.com/

"The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles. The master class has had all to gain and nothing to lose, while the subject class has had nothing to gain and everything to lose--especially their lives." Eugene Victor Debs

No comments: