Catholic Workers Arrested Blockading Military's Road to Perdition
Resisting Talisman Sabre 09 and the Af/Pak War
-Background on those Arrested
-Statement of Faith
-Attached Photograph Captions
-Vid - Grana ,12, "Pushtun Collateral Damage"
Updates and Background
Australian Catholic Workers, Jim Dowling and Ciaron O'Reilly were arrested this morning while blocking a major military access road to the Talisman Sabre 09 exercises being held at Shoalwater, central Queensland, Australia. Along with seven other anti war activists, the pair blockaded the road for over and hour and a half, and prevented more than a dozen
The activists raised a signpost to mark the road "Talsiman Sabre 09 - The Road to Perdition". They then knelt in the middle of the road holding signs stating "War is Terror is War" and "Resist the War on
To minimise disruption to local citizens, private vehicles have been allowed access. And for safety, the highway is not blocked.
The pair appeared in court late this morning and are refusing to co-operate with bail conditions while the military exercise continues and will likely be held in custody for the length of the exercise.
O'Reilly stated, "Talisman Sabre is a $250 million exercise in futility. Talisman Sabre is not a game or an exercise, it is a fantasy - a war theatre with no civilians! Most of those being killed by American, Australian and
The Australian involvement in the war on
*JIM DOWLING and CIARON O'REILLY BACKGROUND
-Jim Dowling presently works and lives outside of
-Ciaron O'Reilly spent a year in U.S. prisons as one of the ANZUS Ploughshares convicted of damaging a B52 Bomber in New York on the eve of George Bush Sr.'s war in 1991. O'Reilly was also part of the Pitstop Ploughshares arrested in
-Enough Rope interview with Andrew
*PRISON SOLIDARITY SUGGESTIONS
*Solidarity letters and postcards can be sent to Jim Dowling or Ciaron O'Reilly c/- 69 Kurumba St. Kippa-Ring, Q.4021 Australia (mail will be redirected to the jail or watchhouse where they are detained for the length of Talisman Sabre 09)
- If you would like to make a financial donation to this act of nonviolent resistance (we have failed to set up a seperate account), you could send a cheque to "Ciaron O'Reilly"
*STATEMENT OF FAITH
Blockading the Military's Road to Perdition
Resisting Talsiman Sabre 09 & the Af/Pak War
"Because we want peace with half a heart, half a life and will, the
war making continues. Because the making of war is total - but the making of peace by our cowardice is partial."
Fr. Daniel Berrigan SJ
The $300 million "Talisman Sabre 09" exercise presently taking places in central Queensland/Australia involves 20,000
We come to Talisman Sabre to lock the gates, block the access road to the Shoalwater exercise area and read out loud the names of the dead of the war on Afghanistan - ten Australian, hundreds of U.K./U.S. troops, and thousands of Afghani civilians. We come to nonviolently resist this exercise and the expanding, escalating "Af/Pak War" on the Pushtun, Afghani and Pakistani peoples.
We have come to the Talisman Sabre exercise in
It is a war that has no popular support, yet little visible popular oppostion, in the countries waging it. A war with general disengagement within the countries of the imperial centre from where it is prosecuted and bloody death and destruction on the fringe of empire - this time in the lands of the Pushtun people of northern Pakistan and southern Afghanistan.
It remains self evident "That truth is the first casualty of war!" H.W. Johnson
We have been sold the invasion and occupation of
The war is now refered to as "Af/Pak" by the Obama administration and Pentagon warlords. It continues to be marketed as a Bush's neverending "War on Terror" This month we witness an American surge in southern
As Peter Ustinov reflected "War is the terrorism of the rich. Terrorism is the war of the poor!" The present policies and actions of Obama and Rudd will create more orphans, more vengeance and more terrorism. There is no military solution in central
All the powers require from us is our silence and sedation in the face of these great crimes that are being visited on the peoples of
We know as Australians, our government generates the lie that our security is only to be found in service to empire. This has been our historic role from the 1800's to the present day - dispatching Australian troops to
July 9th. 2009
*Grana, 12, is the sole survivor of a coalition bombing in southern Helmand province that took her arm and her leg, and killed nine members of her family
*Attached Photograph captions
1. Veteran members of the Catholic Worker movement Jim Dowling and Ciaron O'Reilly prepare to block a major access road to the Talisman Sabre military exercise
2. Veteran member of the Catholic Worker movement Jim Dowling prays before preparing to block a major access road to the Talisman Sabre military training facility
3. Members of the Catholic Worker movement along with fellow peace activists blocking military vehicles on a major access road to the Talisman Sabre war games exercise area in Shoalwater Bay, QLD
4. Members of the Catholic Worker movement along with fellow peace activists blocking military vehicles on a major access road to the Talisman Sabre war games exercise area in Shoalwater Bay, QLD
5. Military vehicles were blocked for over an hour and a half this morning on a major access road to the Talisman Sabre war games exercise area in Shoalwater Bay, QLD
6. Veteran members of the Catholic Worker movement Jim Dowling and Ciaron O'Reilly blockade military vehicles by kneeling in Nonviolent Resistance to the Talisman Sabre War Games Exercise
8. Police arresting Jim Dowling for blocking military access to the Talisman Sabre training facility.
9. Police arresting Anti-War activists Jim Dowling and Ciaron O' Reilly for blocking military access to the Talisman Sabre training facility
10. Police arrest Jim Dowling for blocking military access to the Talisman Sabre training facility.
11. Police arrest Jim Dowling for blocking military access to the Talisman Sabre training facility.
12. Police arrest Ciaron O' Reilly for blocking military access to the Talisman Sabre training facility.
PLEASE NOTE: ANY PHOTOGRAPHS USED ARE TO BE CREDITED TO PHOTOGRAPHER: THOMAS DAY