Friday, June 10, 2011

Sr Jackie Hudson is out of prison and in the hospital

Fri, Jun 10, 2011


Wonderful news!!!  Jackie Hudson was officially released today from

prison pending her sentencing, and is currently at the University of

Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville where she is receiving REAL

medical care (imagine that).  Sue Ablao is by her side this very

moment, and we can all FINALLY rest assured that she is getting the

care she needs, and will soon be on the mend and on her way back to Seattle.


I will refer you all to the Disarm No Plowshares Blog where I've just

posted the latest update by Joe Power-Drutis for all the details.  I

am thankful to Joe for his faithful reportage throughout Jackie's

ordeal; he hasn't missed a beat.  I am also thankful to the

physicians, attorneys (especially Brad Henry, Jackie's primary legal

counsel) and everyone who called, faxed or emailed while Jackie was in

the Ocilla House of Horrors, and to all who have offered to help in so

many ways.


Here, also, is an article that you won't find online about Jackie and

the Ocilla debacle.


Happy Day,


Leonard Eiger

Puget Sound Nuclear Weapon Free Zone  (Coordinator)


Ill prisoner nun causes web uproar




The Ocilla Star newspaper, June 8, 2011


The health of a nun incarcerated at the Irwin County Detention Center

caused a minor uproar on the internet and across the country last week.


Sister Jackie Hudson, not to be confused with Ocilla's own Jackie

Hudson, is awaiting sentencing for a federal conviction on trespassing

charges. Hudson, 76, and 12 other anti-nuclear activists were arrested

last year for trespassing on the government's Y-12 National Security

Complex in Oak Ridge, TN. Y-12 is famous, or infamous, for being the

site where uranium was enriched for Little Boy, the atomic bomb

dropped on Hiroshima, Japan.


Hudson, a Catholic nun of the Dominican Order and a native of

Washington, is a member of the Plowshares Movement, an anti-nuclear

weapons movement which gained prominence in the 1980s.


Alice Zillah, a friend of Hudson's, who is also involved with the

movement, said the goal of the activists is to attract attention to

their cause and pressure the U.S. government to honor its nuclear

non-proliferation treaties though non-violent actions. When asked

whether she believes nuclear weapons help protect the country, Zillah

said the use of nuclear weapons has led to many near-catastrophes and

she said there have been too many close calls for her to feel safer

because of them.


"It may sound naive, but I want to live in a world where we don't have

to threaten ourselves with mass murder," Zillah said.


Hudson and her fellow sisters, Ardeth Platte and Carol Gilbert, have

been guests of the federal government before. The three nuns

reportedly broke into the site of a Colorado nuclear missile silo in

2002 where they staged a "symbolic disarmament" by beating on the silo

with hammers and painting a cross on the silo with their own blood.

They were each convicted of obstructing national defense and damaging

government property and spent time in prison for their crimes.


The demonstration for which the 13 people were arrested last year was

held in part to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Plowshares

Movement. They reportedly climbed under a fence during their protest,

as they tried to urge the government to stop enriching uranium at the

Y-12 complex.


Twelve of the Y-12 demonstrators were convicted in May and could serve

up to one year in prison for the misdemeanor offense of trespassing.

Seven of those convicted, including Hudson, Platte and Gilbert,

refused to accept supervised release and were instead taken into

custody until their sentencing. Those seven prisoners were transferred

in May to the detention facility outside Ocilla.


May 28, a phone call from Gilbert to an activist named Joe

Power-Drutis and another call  to Power-Drutis from someone who knew

someone in the same cell block as Hudson ignited a firestorm of

concern, internet posts and calls to the detention center.


According to an internet post by Power-Drutis on the Disarm Now

Plowshares site dated May 29, he was told Hudson was suffering severe

chest pain, shortness of breath and pressure over her chest area. He

wrote that "nothing was being done for her medically." Power-Drutis

and others called attorneys, medical doctors, the U.S. Marshals

Service, the ICDCand the Irwin County Sheriff's Office attempting to

get help for Hudson. He wrote that doctors and lawyers received a

"near wall of non information and an unreceptive response from both

nurse and guards" at the detention facility as they tried to get

Hudson transferred to Irwin County Hospital.


In another post dated May 30, Power-Drutis said that the detention

center staff assured him that Hudson was receiving care but he

described the prison as being "completely uncooperative" and was

harshly critical of the detention center.


"This maltreatment must not stand," he wrote. "The people operating

Irwin County Detention Center, a private, for profit prison, must be

held accountable for their actions. If this is how they treat Jackie,

someone with a broad base of support, I can only imagine the

mistreatment of a vast number of prisoners who have no one to advocate

on their behalf."


Meanwhile, concerned internet posts began springing up at sites like

Disarm Now Plowshares and the Baltimore Center for Nonviolence. May

31, Power-Drutis posted again, with good news.


"I have been in awe by the incredible outpouring of love and concern

for Jackie in this terrible time,"he wrote. "The fact that this

community of spirit mobilized as quickly and powerfully as it did made

all the difference.


"Due to your efforts Jackie was taken to the Emergency Room early this

morning. During her stay at the Irwin County Hospital, even though her

symptoms suggested heart failure this serious condition was ruled out;

therefore she can sleep tonight knowing that her heart is not the



A call and an e-mail alerted The Ocilla Star to the situation with

Hudson, and Editor Diane Pless passed on the information to Irwin

County Commission Chairman Joey Whitley on the afternoon of June 1.

Whitley contacted Irwin County Sheriff Donnie Youghn and they visited

the prison and were satisfied Hudson was receiving appropriate care.


Power-Drutis drove from Knoxville, TN, to Ocilla during the weekend

and visited some of the demonstrators incarcerated at the ICDC. He

wrote June 5 that Hudson continues to suffer pain in her chest and was

sent to the hospital again to be checked for pulmonary embolus, which

is a blockage of the main artery of the lung. He wrote that she is

being housed in the medical room at the detention center.


"A few days ago Jackie was once again in communication with her

attorney and understands he is willing to approach the court and

request her release from her present confinement for medical reasons,"

Power-Drutis wrote. "I am told she will make her decision in the next

few days."


The Irwin County Detention Center warden could not be reached for comment.


For more information on the anti-nuclear weapons movement and updates

on the Y-12 demonstrators held at the ICDC, visit the web site



No comments: