Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Israel Denies Vanunu's Right to Revoke Citizenship


Israel Denies Vanunu's Right to Revoke Citizenship

Posted by Eileen Fleming on Wednesday, 12 December 2012 in Eileen Fleming's Blog

After a 19-month wait, Mordechai Vanunu received the disappointing but not unexpected news from Interior Minister Eli Yishai, regarding his historic appeal seeking to revoke his Israeli citizenship.
“Security officials continue to view Vanunu as a danger, adding the Supreme Court in the past has rejected requests from Vanunu to have his citizenship canceled, and it appears the minister is not about to accommodate him since doing so might assist him in leaving Israel and seeking refuge elsewhere. Israel feels he must remain in the country under the watchful eye of the intelligence community.

“In his official response to Vanunu, Minister Yishai informed him that his request would not be honored.” [1]
Vanunu also petitioned Prime Minister Netanyahu, Foreign Minister Liberman, Defense Minister Barak, Justice Minister Neaman and President Peres. As of this writing not one has publicly commented:

The law allows the courts to revoke the citizenship of anyone convicted of crimes against the state, such as treason.
Vanunu was convicted of treason for telling the world the truth about Israel’s clandestine nuclear weapons facility in 1986, served 18 years in jail and began his 9th year of open-air captivity in April 2012.

Vanunu's many years of requesting to leave the country have been denied by Israel in the 'holy' name of SECURITY based on the grounds that he might reveal additional state secrets about a place he has not set foot into since 1985!

On October 10, 2011, Vanunu wrote, "even if they will cancel my citizenship, it doesn't mean they will send me free, they can still keep me here, but we believe this is the way out from Israel. If they will not cancel my Israel citizenship, then the court will decide to hear the case, and then the judges in the court hearing will decide if they will force the interior minister to follow his Israel laws, and cancel my citizenship. Any way they must let [me] go free after 25 years. VMJC."

I met Vanunu first in June 2005.

I saw him last in June 2009 and he told me:
"The Central Commander of the General Army testified in court that it is OK if I speak in public as long as I do not talk about nuclear weapons.

"I think the court will realize even if they send me back for three months-what will they do after that?

"It is all about freedom of speech and they cannot keep me here forever. They want revenge because I survived the system. The isolation in prison made me feel like I was loosing my mind. I felt like I was dying.

"Jesus Christ's strong message to the Israelis of 2,000 years ago is that they were wrong in rejecting him. By going to church I am reminding Israel of JC. JC and I both did a good job for humanity.

"Obama needs to wake up and talk and walk. But America has lost eight years. America needs to free itself from the Israeli state. Five million Jews should not dictate to America what they shall do.

"The USA needs to wake up from 9/11. That was when America lost her way."

It was THAT DAY we call 9/11 that woke me up:


It was that day entwined with my spiritual search that compelled me to research and then impelled me to sojourn seven times to both sides of The Wall in Israel Palestine.

While in Jerusalem in 2005 researching for my first book-an historical fiction- I met Vanunu.
We began a series of interviews that inspired me to establish an Internet newspaper and public service site- WeAreWideAwake.orgthat has been monitored by nearly 9 million US and Israeli cyber drones since 2005.
Vanunu had been released from 18 years in jail the year before, but under restrictions not to leave the state and not to speak to foreigners.


My fourth, “Vanunu's WAIT for LIBERTY, Remembering the USS LIBERTY and My Life as a Candidate of Conscience for US HOUSE 2012” furthers the saga of SECURITY’S Vendetta against Vanunu and will be globally available by December 21, 2012.

VANUNU’S WAIT for LIBERTY, Remembering the USS LIBERTY and My Life as a Candidate of Conscience for US HOUSE 2012
Founder of WeAreWideAwake.org
REMEMBER THE LIBERTY
Producer "30 Minutes with Vanunu" and "13 Minutes with Vanunu" 
Author of "Keep Hope Alive" and "Memoirs of a Nice Irish American 'Girl's' Life in Occupied Territory" and BEYOND NUCLEAR: Mordechai Vanunu's FREEDOM of SPEECH Trial and My Life as a Muckraker: 2005-2010

No comments: