The Pledge of Resistance-Baltimore on the third Wednesday drops off a letter, see below, to Rep. Sarbanes’ Towson office. Can you join us on December 19 at 4:30 PM? Can you sign on to the letter? Call 410-366-1637 or email mobuszewski at verizon.net for directions.
Pledge of Resistance-Baltimore/Fund Our Communities, 325 East 25th Street, Baltimore, MD 21218
Rep. John Sarbanes
600 Baltimore Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21204
Re: Prosperity Not Austerity
December 19, 2012
Dear Congressperson Sarbanes:
The Pledge of Resistance-Baltimore joined a broad, national coalition which has worked to educate members of Congress nation-wide each month since January 2010 organized by Progressive Democrats of America. We're writing to inform you about our views on critically important issues, and asking you to support common sense legislation to promote economic growth, preserve essential programs, and help lower the national debt.
We're primarily focused on the "Deal for All" (H.Res. 733) and the Financial Speculation Tax (H.R. 6411) as well as other measures to investment in our people, and redirect weapons and war spending to address human needs such as education, job creation, and healthcare. We specifically call upon you to cosponsor the following legislation and policies:
1. Let the Bush tax cuts and payroll tax cuts expire, and replace them with H.R. 6411, the "Inclusive Prosperity Act" (aka the Financial Speculation or "Robin Hood" Tax), and fair income tax cuts--limited to the first $250,000 of income, with income above that level subject to Clinton Era tax rates.
2. Support the "Deal for All" (H.Res. 733), the fair, common sense alternative to the "fiscal cliff" / automatic sequester "bad deal."
3. Prevent any cuts to Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid including benefits, COLAs, or eligibility--as well as pass bills to expand and improve Medicare including H.R. 676, the "Expanded & Improved Medicare For All Act" and H.R. 1200 the "American Health Security Act."
4. Cut weapons spending by 25%, and pass H.R. 780, the "Responsible End to the War in Afghanistan Act" to immediately end the war and provide for the safe and orderly withdrawal from Afghanistan of all members of the Armed Forces and Department of Defense contractor personnel.
5. Invest in jobs, education and infrastructure to promote prosperity by enacting H.R. 870 / 4277, the "21st Century Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment and Training Act;" as well as S. 1549 / H.R. 12 the "American Jobs Act;" and H.R. 2914, the "Emergency Jobs to Restore the American Dream Act."
Finally, we are seeking an end to the use of killer drone strikes, which we believe to be illegal and unconstitutional. Would you be willing to speak out in Congress against the use of drones which are killing civilians in at least five countries—Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen?
We look forward to your response. And when you are ready, we would like to meet with you, preferably in Baltimore. But if necessary, we will travel to your D.C. office. Thank you for your time and attention.
Max Obuszewski, on behalf of Pledge of Resistance-Baltimore/Fund Our Communities
325 East 25th Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 410-366-1637
Donations can be sent to the Baltimore Nonviolence Center, 325 E. 25th St., Baltimore, MD 21218. Ph: 410-366-1637; Email: mobuszewski [at] verizon.net. Go to http://baltimorenonviolencecenter.blogspot.com/
"The master class has always declared the wars; the subject class has always fought the battles. The master class has had all to gain and nothing to lose, while the subject class has had nothing to gain and everything to lose--especially their lives." Eugene Victor Debs